JPEG-LS Library for embedded system

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Edited Jan 14, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Hi all,

I want to use jpeg-ls library on the embedded platform (NGW100 mkII from atmel) for compressing bmp images. NGW100 mkII is running linux version 2.6.35.4 and is Big Endian. I am not sure if current version of jpeg-ls is portable to embedded system. I read on this page that Big Endian system are supported in the curent version. At least I can try...

I have used some other libraries on NGW100 mkII, such as JBIG2 encoder and that is working on this big endian embedded system. The procedure is, that we need to cross compile the library on any Linux machine for the target embedded platform. Cross compiling means to use avr32-linux-gcc for compiling the library instead of gcc.

I have downloaded jpeg-ls library and successfully run cmake and make commands on my ubuntu machine, which created charlstest exe in /home/khukhu/CharLS-source-1.0 directory. Now the problem is that I do not know how to use this charlstest exe for compressing a bmp image. So please help me in the usage of this generated charlstest exe or suggest me any tutorial for the usage of jpeg-ls library. Currently I want to use it on mu Ubuntu machine. If it worked on Ubuntu then I will try it on NGW100 mkII embedded platform.

Developer
Jan 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM

It should be possible to cross-compile it for your embedded platform. Of course you will need to modify some of the build script settings. 

charlstest.exe is the unittest application around the jpeg-ls library. On you embedded system you will only need the compiled jpeg-ls library and your own application code. You can use the unit test code to see how the API calls work. These calls are also explained on the "documention" tab.

Jan 14, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Thank you.

Jan 16, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I am not an expert in writing C codes. I just wanted to compress few 8 bpp bmp images using CharLS library.

If someone had already used CharLS library for compressing bmp images then please help me in writing C code.

It will be great if anyone can share the code for compressing bmp images using CharLS library.